Re: Progress on the Alpha distribution at debian-ports

On 18/02/12 16:01, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 13/02/12 10:56, Bob Tracy wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 02:37:44PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
>> I seized the occasion of this announcement to try again and figure out a
>> way past my Gnome 3 upgrade issues,
> [...]
>> When I saw that "evolution", "gnome-core",
>> and other essentials would finally be upgraded instead of removed, I knew
>> I had the solution :-).
>
> So how is Gnome3 for you?
>
> It always starts up in fallback mode for me.  I do have radeon KMS
> runnning, but mesa is using the software DRI renderer.  That might be
> why it starts in fallback mode.

Ahh, that's because I am not a member of the video group. Fixed.  Now I
get the gallium DRI driver.  glxgears works nicely and less than 15% cpu
usage for 60fps when I use the xfce4 desktop.

But Gnome is not so happy: all I get is a black screen with the cursor
when I log in.  After a while it switches to screensave mode, brings up
the password entry prompt when I move the mouse, and I can unlock and
come back to the big black empty nothiningness.  This new Gnome
experience is somewhat underwhelming.

Cheers
Michael.