Re: pulseaudio mutex bug reported

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 09:52:16PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 24/11/11 04:06, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 04:12:53PM -0600, Bob Tracy wrote:
> >> Search for #649641: pulseaudio mutex issue on Alpha architecture.
> >
> > The workaround mentioned in the report for ARM also works for Alpha.
> > I'll leave it to a package maintainer to explain why :-).
>
> I bet that it is a kernel issue.  What kernel were you running when you
> saw the mutex issues?

3.2.0-rc2.  There were supposed to be some radeon KMS fixes relative to
"-rc1", but I regret to report there's still no joy trying to run KDE4
on the console.  Works *great* with FreeNX, so I have to conclude it's
something specific to KDE's interaction with KMS.  What I'm seeing
currently is I get the KDE initialization screen where each of five
icons fades in from left to right.  As the fifth one (the big "K")
completes fading in and (I'm guessing here) plasma-desktop starts
executing, the machine freezes solid...  Can't switch consoles, can't
login remotely with ssh, nada.  Machine won't even respond to pings.  No
error messages in any of the X11 or syslog files that I could find.

I'll repeat the exercise with "-rc3" when I get it built.  The build
will happen overnight, and I can try KDE4 tomorrow evening when I get
home from work.  Unfortunately, I work for an "unenlightened" customer
that doesn't take the Friday after Thanksgiving as a holiday :-(.

As far as the pulseaudio patches, the version number I attached to my
local build is 1.1-2 (to avoid having "apt-get upgrade" undo all my hard
work until the next real version gets released).  I should have done
something similar with the QT4 packages: for now, I've put holds on all
of those to prevent upgrades.  While I'm on everyone's screen:

BEWARE the recent "udev" upgrade: it suffers from the same problem as
the previous version -- the stubbed-out syscalls.  On the plus side, my
patched 166-1 "udevd" works just fine with the 175-2 udev packages.

--Bob