Re: toolchain updates

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 07:55:04AM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> I would check that you have perl version 5.12.x installed.
>
> I still recommend running 'apt-get install build-essential' as that may
> upgrade other stuff such as make, dpkg, etc.  Since you are building
> packages yourself you should have build-essential installed.  You also
> need a multiarch aware version of the packaging tools installed!
>
> If you have python2.6 installed, which is highly likely, then I would
> also run 'apt-get upgrade python2.6' which will upgrade even more for you.
>
> You may need to run 'apt-get -f install' after each step above.  At the
> end you should run 'apt-get upgrade' which will upgrade yet more of the
> system.

It has been an interesting weekend.  Toolchain seems to be updated as
far as nothing I've attempted to build complaining or failing in
mysterious ways.

The Gnome-3 package builds are progressing.  The hardest part was
figuring out how to sequence the package builds/installs to avoid
breaking the system, where "breaking the system" means "apt-get" refuses
to install any of the unstable distro packages/updates until broken
dependencies get fixed.  I'm concentrating on keeping my Gnome
environment working, because KDE4 has been a non-starter on my system
since forever (segfaults and such during initialization).  I've never
seen KDE4 work on my Alpha, but I'm willing to give it another go if
other people with Alpha systems are having better luck than I am.

--Bob