Advancing Debian Alpha Porting

Debian Alpha People,

You may have noted the removal of the Alpha port from the Debian autobuilder network. Packages are no longer being built for the unstable distribution.

Hopefully you have seen the promising message from Aurelien [1] that it is likely that the Alpha port of Debian can be accommodated in debian-ports in the next couple of weeks or so. To enable that we need to start organising ourselves. As no-one else has stepped up I am sending out this message but I have to admit I have limited knowledge of the Debian process of porting and packaging. I suspect we may be all on a step learning curve. Has anyone heard from Arthur Loiret? It would be nice to get an actual Debian Developer on board.

The debian-ports server is a wanna-build server. It maintains a database of built and needs to be built packages and manages the allocation of building to buildds. I believe debian-ports also hosts the accessible apt package repository.

It appears we are to provide the Alpha buildds. We need at least two for redundancy but if older hardware is used then we may need three or four. Craig, Witold, Robert, are you all able to offer a machine to be a buildd? I don't think I can---I have an XP1000 that is my main computer that I use, and two PWS600au, but they are a bit slow.

Who is prepared to assist in the checking of built package logs, uploading successful builds, and reporting build failures? Hopefully we can get three or four of us so that it lightens the load and enables package builds to continue when someone is unavailable. I volunteer for some of this load --- but I won't be able to attend to it every day. It will be more likely twice a week.

There are some other things we have to sort out to have a fully working Alpha autobuilder network but the above is a start.

Cheers
Michael.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2011/04/msg00018.html