Re: toolchain updates

On 09/09/11 07:14, Bob Tracy wrote:
> The piecemeal upgrade approach I've tried seems to have paid off, at
> least slightly...  "apt-get install gcc-4.4 libc6.1 libc6.1-dev"
> resulted in only seven package removals: libgnome2-perl,
> libgnome2-vfs-perl, libperl5.10, libpurple0, libsvn-perl, pidgin, and
> svn-buildpackage.  None seem critical.

I would check that you have perl version 5.12.x installed.

I still recommend running 'apt-get install build-essential' as that may
upgrade other stuff such as make, dpkg, etc.  Since you are building
packages yourself you should have build-essential installed.  You also
need a multiarch aware version of the packaging tools installed!

If you have python2.6 installed, which is highly likely, then I would
also run 'apt-get upgrade python2.6' which will upgrade even more for you.

You may need to run 'apt-get -f install' after each step above.  At the
end you should run 'apt-get upgrade' which will upgrade yet more of the
system.

Cheers
Michael.