Re: alpha and hppa removal from unstable/experimental

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 12:00:26PM +0200, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Mark Hymers <mhy@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As mentioned in the recent ftp-team meeting minutes, we're planning to
> > remove alpha and hppa from unstable.  They were removed from testing
> > before the squeeze release and there's no sign that they will be release
> > architectures for wheezy.  As such, we're planning to remove them from
> > unstable and experimental in the next few days.  buildd support for
> > unstable and experimental will also be ended at that time, but will
> > obviously continue for lenny updates / security builds.
> >
> > Before we remove the architectures, archives will be taken for anyone
> > who wants to take a copy of the dump to use elsewhere.  These dumps will
> > be made available on request.
>
> Just curious:
> 1) what's the cost of letting the unstable buildds run on a "don't
> care" basis? (question which I asked before and which remained
> unanswered afaik)
> 2) what's up with the FTPmasters' minutes which stated the hppa
> archive would be moved to debian-ports?

As clearly explained in the mail to debian-devel-announce, it's the
porters job to do the transition. Currently debian-ports can't accept a
new port due to disk space issue. We already tried to upgrade them, but
it failed. The porters wantijng a new port on debian-ports.org should
find a person in Paris who can go to the place and fix the issue (which
probably means also buying a new hard drive).

> 3) shouldn't such a decision (the removal of an arch from the archive)
> be voted on, instead of being the arbitrary ruling of a couple of DDs?
> Or did I miss the bit that said "not releasing in time equals archive
> removal"?

ftpmasters are not a couple DD, but DPL delegates. As such, they can
take decisions regarding the archive.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73