Re: current state of sid (unstable)

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 10:14:02PM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 04/08/10 01:48, Bob Tracy wrote:
> >So...  What's the current state of unstable on Alpha?  I've been told
> >the following so far:
>
> Thinking about that list further we should add:
>
> 8) Xorg only works on bwx capable Alphas.
>
> I did take a look at fixing the Xserver for the older Alphas but
> discovered that the problem is deep rooted and involves both the Xserver
> and libpciaccess.  It will be quite a bit of work to fix and as all my
> Alphas are bwx capable I abandoned that task.

I remember that discussion from the pre-meltdown days...  I think the
consensus was something along the lines of "even if we somehow got it
working, the performance would be atrocious."  I know it's not the same,
but how 'bout FreeNX from a remote system as a workaround for those
platforms?

Unrelated to the above, the upgrade from lenny to sid went far more
smoothly than anticipated.  I haven't tried X yet, and you may hear the
screams when I do :-), but everything else seems to be running just
fine.  The only upgrade "issue" was package configuration failures for
the upgrade from Postgres-8.3 to -8.4, and those may have been
intentional in the sense of not being able to cleanly determine whether
a DB migration was desired (vs. starting with a clean default DB).  Once
the decision was made (by purging all the -8.3 packages and removing the
associated default database), the -8.4 packages configured cleanly.

All the locale-related noise from "mandb" and "perl" during the dist-
upgrade was expected from having done other upgrades of this magnitude,
but unlike the previous occasions, the problem resolved itself by the
end of the dist-upgrade process.  Nicely done, Debian...

--Bob