followup: squeeze: graphical environment broken

I wrote:
> Then, recent updates to gnome managed to kill *that* windowing
> environment.

Well, I at least figured out why the login sessions subsequent to trying
gnome were hanging...  The system dbus process spawned a child for the
gnome session, and the child went "<defunct>" when gnome hung.  Stopping
and restarting dbus took care of the problem of not being able to login
remotely or on a virtual console.

This is an improvement of sorts: as long as I'm logged-in on a virtual
console as root when gnome leaves the rails, I can recover without having
to hit the reset switch.  Another improvement is, the terminal window in
the hung gnome session continues to function when the window manager
dies.

Bob Tracy          |  "Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand."
rct@frus.com       |   -- Bill Kennedy