Re: squeeze and the future of the alpha port, redux

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:01:52PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:

>> Also unsurprisingly (to me, given my observations that had led to the post
>> in the first place), no one else has yet stepped up to be an alpha porter
>> for squeeze.

> What is involved in this job?

Collectively, the porters are responsible for:

 - keeping the arch-specific bootloader (aboot) in working order
 - maintaining the arch-specific installer components
 - maintaining the architecture's kernel build
 - fixing the toolchain (in collaboration with upstream) if it breaks
 - making sure packages are generally building sanely, and fixing
   architecture-related build failures
   (<https://buildd.debian.org/~luk/status/architecture.php?a=alpha>,
   <https://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph2-quarter-big.png>)
 - Working on architecture-specific bugs in packages (e.g.,
   <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>)

> What is the time commitment?

Varies widely.  I think I averaged less than 3 hours a week (possibly much
less) through the etch cycle and the beginning of the lenny cycle.

> What is the needed experience?

While folks who aren't DDs won't be turned away from helping, in practice
there needs to be a certain critical mass of DDs working on a port since
it's important to be able to do uploads directly when needed.

Otherwise, reviewing the debian-alpha list archives over the past few years
probably gives as good an indication as any of the kind of bugs that need to
be dealt with.

>>   But in the absence of some demonstration of committment in the next
>> couple of weeks, on March 7 I'll plan to ask the ftp team and the release
>> team to drop alpha from the archive for testing and unstable.

> Ouch!   Just when the patches to provide PCI resource files under sysfs
> on Alpha have materialised, and I was so looking forward to the new
> xserver propagating through to unstable and testing.

It's not out of the question that this might happen before March.  I don't
know that the removal of alpha is going to be instantaneous, either;
furthermore, removing alpha from the archive doesn't preclude building an
unofficial alpha version of squeeze, perhaps of a hand-picked, reduced set
of packages.  If people are interested, it's possible something could be
worked out with debian-ports.org.