Re: Problems with DIGITAL 21143 Ethernet Controller

On Nov 19, 1:10 am, Ian Las <ia...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,In the past I tried to install the embedded DIGITAL 21143 Ethernetcontroller
> of my UX 164 Alpha without any success.
> At the moment Debian etch is installed.
> Recently I got an old Intel Box with an DIGITAL 21140 PCI Ethernetcontroller
> and was surprised to find a working network with a 2.6.22 kernel.
>
> But the PCI Board did not work in the Alpha machine !?
> Reactivating an old NT 4.0 Alpha harddisk the embedded 21143 Ethernet
> Controller performed without any problems.
> So I think the hardware should be without any failure.
>
> Both drivers - the Tulip and the DE4x3 - were tried with various 2.6.xx
> kernels.
>  The "ifconfig" command shows an active network environment but it fails
> to work.
> The DE4x3 driver gives no error messages.
> The Tulip driver gives periodically a "network down" and "network up" status.
>
> If this controller works on an Intel system it should work also on Alpha ?
> Are there any working DIGITAL 21143 controllers on Alpha machines ?
> Are any special parameters necessary ?
>
> Thanks,Ian

Did you try the de4x5 driver? I'm using it e.g on a AS300 (lspci
output):

Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21040
[Tulip] (rev 26)
Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 30)

/etc/modprobe.d/de4x5 contains options de4x5 args='eth1:fdx
eth0:autosense=TP'
kernel is a "vanilla" 2.4.32 built for Avanti.

It also works for the embedded DE500-BA (DC21143) in a DPW500au:

Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 30)

there is no /etc/modprobe.d/de4x5 on this machine, i.e. no options are
passed.
kernel is a "vanilla" 2.6.21 built for Miata.

Urs