Re: SCSI controllers and SRM

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:45:05PM +0100, Simon Brown wrote:
> Jay was using 5.8 I'm on 5.9 might try downgrading later.
> http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11030_div/11030_div.html
> Is the official part. Show config reports a AIC-7899 so the card I've
> got is obviously very similar.
>
> Looks like I've going to have to boot from the qlogic on board
> controller, firmware 5.8 is still to be found though, so I might try
> that.

Well the AIC 7899 is just the chip.  The firmware and PCI identifier of
the card varies depending on who made the actual board.  The Compaq one
would say it is a compaq board, not an Adaptec board.  That does matter
for detecting it, so perhaps SRM will detect one but not the other.

It would be a dumb distinction to make in the firmware, but if Compaq
sold their card for 2 or 3 times what Adaptec did, then it would make
some sense to force people to use the Compaq model.  Just a guess
though, since I have no idea what they charged for them, or if only the
Compaq model is supposed in SRM.

--
Len Sorensen