Re: [alsa-devel] M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card causing crash on Alpha

On 6/03/2008, at 11:18 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

At Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:14:23 +1300, Michael Cree wrote:

I recently installed a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card into DEC/ Compaq
Alpha XP1000, and it is causing crashes and complete lock ups of the
computer when I attempt to play sound through the sound card.

  This seems to be a bug possibly specific to the Alpha
architecture.

Any ideas as to the problem?

The oops looks related with mmap.  Maybe alpha doesn't support the
mmap of coherent DMA pages like intel architectures allow?

Try to disable mmap support in the driver once - e.g. comment out
SNDRV_PCM_INFO_MMAP in struct snd_pcm_hardware.info fields found in
ice1724.c.

I see that there is also a SNDRV_PCM_INFO_MMAP_VALID flag in the initialisations of the snd_pcm_hardware.info field. Should I comment that out too?

May be a few days before I can test this out - I have just realised that a couple of my disk partitions are corrupted; I suspect one of the crashes of the audio driver is the explanation. I will have to restore from a backup first before continuing testing.

Michael.