Re: alpha server 8 5/500

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, mel kravitz wrote:
Hi,
First-thanks for your reply.
1)When i boot with stock kernel 2.6.22-3-alpha-smp ,i go ->into X-session
(gnome-session,  gdm is installed) .

Hmm, but before starting X, does it use a framebuffer driver or text mode? You may need to look closely, or maybe look at dmesg. You could also press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go back to a normal console.

2)My video card is 'glint' driver(pm2 card).driver in/etc/X11/ xorg.conf is
'glint'.
3)I am not using 'fbdev' as driver in xorg.conf
4)In kernel .config file i have all the graphics options enabled that i
normally would need.

Does that include CONFIG_FB_PM2?

5) there is no /dev/fb0, #ls -l /dev/fb0 -> /dev/null on my box?

Not existing is different from a symlink to /dev/null. Anyways, does it not exist with either kernel?

Are you using the UseFBDev option in xorg.conf?

Have you very carefully looked through /var/log/Xorg.0.log and compared it to what you get when it does work?

Ivan