Re: Successfull Etch install on a Multia

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 02:33:11PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:

> Steve> Could you please let me know the PCI ID of the ethernet
> Steve> interface in this system?  It may be too late to get this fixed
> Steve> for etch r0, but we might take a stab at it for r1.

> Here you go:

> 00:08.0 0200: 1011:0002 (rev 23)
>         Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
>         Latency: 255
>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
>         Region 0: I/O ports at 8400 [size=128]
>         Region 1: Memory at 01442000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]

Ok, thanks.  FWIW, this same chip works fine for me in an LX164 system; but
you're the second to report problems with it on other alphas --
unfortunately, though, the first to confirm that it's a problem with current
2.6 kernels.

The solution seems to be straightforward enough -- de4x5 should register as
the driver for 1011:0002 and be shipped, and de2104x should not.  The
trouble is that we have limited information (... 2 users) that de4x5 works,
so particularly if it's possible for this PCI ID to appear on other
architectures, we may be trading one bug for another at the 11th hour.

I'll prepare a patch for the kernel, but barring positive feedback from the
rest of the kernel team, I'm only going to apply it to the experimental
(-> lenny) branch, not to the etch branch.