Re: help with mplayer bug 431139

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 09:12:27PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:

> I add another info

> By looking in
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=mplayer;ver=1.0%7Erc1-15;arch=alpha;stamp=1185972985
> I deduced that indeed "configure" detects the CPU of the buildd , as follows
> > Checking for GCC & CPU optimization abilities ... ev67
> > Checking for MVI instruction support in GCC ... yes

So for starters, build with:

DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE       := $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE      := $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE)

ifeq ($(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE), $(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE))
  conf_args += --build $(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE)
else
  conf_args += --build $(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE) --host $(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)
endif

	./configure $(conf_args) [...]

alpha is not the only architecture where your package will have problems if
you allow configure to incorrectly select an -mcpu option at build time
based on the build host's capabilities.

> This means that mplayer is compiled with 'gcc -mcpu=ev67 ' ;
> and also that  CAN_COMPILE_ALPHA_MVI is set, and this enables some
> specific code in  libmpeg2/  (I don't know what MVI is , alas - but it
> looks as something that not all CPUs have)

I don't know what MVI is either, but according to
<http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2003-September/020895.html>
it's not supported on ev56 so should be disabled, or else enabled only as an
optional subarch optimization within the package.

Thanks,