Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 won't boot on alpha (fwd)

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 11:08:54AM +0200, Uwe Schindler wrote:
>
> > And how will we boot 2.6.23 then???
>
> How should I know?  I asked for testing in
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2007/08/msg00018.html>, and apparently
> nobody who's concerned about 2.6.23 yet has seen fit to do so.

Huh???  I sent you the build logs: never got an ACK.  Successfully
installed the resulting binary ".deb" files ("aboot-base" and "aboot").
I'll actually try booting 2.6.23-rcX this evening with the new "bootlx".

> > The second question is: when we update aboot, how does the boot sectors on
> > discs are rewritten on installation?

Current answer: you do it manually.  I guess the question is, is it safe
to assume that "/sbin/swriteboot -v -f1 /dev/sda /boot/bootlx" is always
the correct thing to do?  I think the "-f1" is safe, whether needed or
not.  Might want to sanity-check the device name for the first hard disk,
and prompt the user "Update boot sectors on /dev/??? (Y/n)? "  Beyond
that, I don't know what hard disk boot scenarios make sense across the
entire Alpha product line.

Bob Tracy               | "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get
rct@frus.com            |  sucked into jet engines."       --Anon