Re: monotone: FTBFS on alpha, configure fails mysteriously

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 10:38:21AM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> If you look carefully at the buildd log for this one, you see it went
> off the rails a long time before that...

> checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
> checking dependency style of g++... none
> checking for C++ compiler warning flags... unknown

> ^^ this looks like a completely nonfunctional C++ compiler.  Actually,
> there are problems even earlier:

>  cpp-2.95 g++-2.95 gcc-2.95 libboost-filesystem1.34.0 libboost-regex1.34.0
>  libc6.1-dev libicu36 libicu36-dev libstdc++2.10-dev libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
>  linux-libc-dev zlib1g-dev

> ^^ g++ *2.95*?!  What on earth is it doing using that dinosaur?
> Upstream doesn't support anything before 3.3, and would like to bump
> that to 3.4.

> I need advice from the alpha porters on what might be wrong here and
> how to proceed.  debian-alpha cc:ed.

The most recent upload of glibc to unstable has introduced a libc-dev
dependency which is in conflict with the sbuild configuration on multiple
buildds.  As a result, libstdc++-dev has gone missing from these chroots,
and the buildd admin will need to make some changes to restore
build-essential in these environments.

Closing the bug report since this is not a bug in monotone.