Re: Installing aboot ?

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 09:03:28AM -0600, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>> If I try to do it from inside the chroot, if doesn't work because it can't
>> see the drive really, just like you can't fdisk from in the chroot.
>
> Presumably because you don't have a populated /dev.  That's fine, swriteboot
> doesn't need to be run from anywhere in particular; all the command does is
> copy the contents of the bootlx file to the (alpha) boot sector of the drive.

   Ah, yes, didn't do that -- it wasn't mentioned in the docs:
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/alpha/apds03.html.en#id2549076
  but I did find it in another howto for debootstrap

(snip)

> Have you tried running abootconf after swriteboot, to tell aboot where to
> find etc/aboot.conf?

   Thanks, that helped get it a little further along, then it actually
was finding aboot.conf, but couldn't find vmlinuz, finally I realized
that the aboot.conf was screwed up, it had
0/3 /vmlinuz when it should have been 0/1 /vmlinuz
   Now that works but SRM still just boots to the aboot prompt and asks
me which one I want.

--
Harmon Seaver