NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out

I am having a problem with my Alpha Server, and I'm not sure why.  The
machine is an AlphaServer 1200 running Debian.  It has an EV56 / ~533
MHz.  The kernel is 2.6.15-1-alpha-generic

It is used as a general purpose file (NFS, Samba), Web, MySQL and
whatnot server.  It used to work fairly well, but now I'm getting
slowdown when getting files off the server.  When I have a monitor
plugged into the Alpha, I see the following message appear when I try
and do something over the network, such as copy a file over SMB:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
e100: eth1: e100_watchdog: link up, 100 Mbps, full duplex

I never actually see any similar warnings saying that the link is
down.  The machine has two NICs installed, but only eth1 is currently
being used.  The machine is getting an IP via DHCP.

It used to be used as a DHCP server, but when I moved it to its new
home, I uninstalled the dhcp server package.  When it got moved to the
new home is when I first noticed this error, but I never had a monitor
plugged into at where it used to be, so I never would have seen the
error if it had been happening for a long time.  I don't think there
is a problem with the new network, as I have tried plugging the Alpha
directly into two known good machines, and the exact same problem
happened.

What should I do to try and sort out why this is happening, and what I
need to do to fix it?

I just did one more test in case it helps...  I copied a 700 MB file
over the network onto a WinXP box.  (Going through Samba)  I got five
copies of the error messages displayed on the screen, but 4 of them
occurred before the file was halway copied, and the fifth happenned
right as the file finished.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'll be once agin deepyly indebted to
this list!  :)