Re: "Failed to Fork Child Process"

Robert Oram wrote:
I am running "testing". How would I go about implementing or testing the fix? Or is there any way to easily verify that this is the same problem that I am facing? Also, whe I look under system monitor processes, I see hundreds of "gnome-cups-icon" zombies. Is that the culprit? Any suggestions on how to fix, and make the system useable again?

That is the culprit - the threads/processes are marked as <defunct>.

I had originally created a 'libpthread.so' that fixed the problem and just hand installed that. I then just decided to downgrade to "stable", which is no easy task (basically re-installed everything - no more testing or unstable for me - to long a turn around on simple/critical fixes).

The "fixed" libc is in 'experimental' at the moment - not sure what is involved in moving that 1 library to your system. Others on the list may be able to comment.

...tom