xorg 7.0 and Radeon 7500

Lots of problems with Xorg 7.0.X reported by other users, and I'll
second them :-(.  However, I'd like to give myself a fighting chance
by putting together a xorg.conf file that *should* work if everything
else is copacetic.

Pre-X11 state: machine boots on 2.6.18-rc1 with the "radeonfb" driver
built-in (not modular: no initrd).  Works fine with no boot command-line
arguments (default resolution chosen by framebuffer driver), and with
the resolution specified as "1024x768-16@70".  (Thought I'd try to get
things working at depth == 16 before going for the gold.)  Monitor is a
CRT attached to the VGA port on the card (as opposed to the DVI port):
I mention this because various documentation implies the DVI port is
usually considered "primary", VGA "secondary".  However, in some
contexts where only one monitor is present, the driver will regard the
VGA port as "primary" if that's where the monitor is connected.

Filed a bug report with the linux-kernel folks after xorg (via gdm)
successfully "Oops"ed 2.6.18-rc1, powered-down my monitor, and locked
up the machine so hard I had to hit the reset switch.  In this instance,
I was trying to use the "radeon" driver in "xorg.conf".  This condition
is completely and consistently reproducible.

Decided to try the "fbdev" driver in "xorg.conf" just to see if that
might work.  The display went blank, and...  nothing.  At least I could
still switch virtual console terminals, and the machine seemed to be
functioning normally otherwise.  The process list showed all the
expected gdm-related processes running, but I never did get the login
screen.  It's *possible* that the expected output was being routed to
the DVI connector instead of the VGA connector, but I have no way to
check.

Suggestions on things to try would be greatly appreciated.  Specifically,
I'm hoping to find some combination of xorg.conf driver options, screen
layout, etc. that will do the trick.  I'll keep searching for examples
on-line in the meantime, but it would be great to hear from people who
have Radeon 7500s working in their Alphas.

As an aside, a definitive opinion that Xorg 7.0.X is badly broken would
be disappointing, but useful.  In that case, what's the recommended
procedure to downgrade to something that's known to work, and what is
the latest something that works?  The upgrade to Xorg 7.0 was painful...
I won't go back to the TGA2 card unless I absolutely *have* to :-).

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com