Re: updated kernels / miata sound

On Thu May 25 2006 10:11, Bob Tracy wrote:
> I'm going to try 2.6.17-rc5 with Tyson Whitehead's patches (to
> "sound/isa/es18xx.c" and "include/asm-generic/dma-mapping.h") and see
> if that at least gets things up and running.  I'm particularly wanting
> to know if the ISA DMA problems on Alpha have been addressed in some
> way other than the dma-mapping.h patch.

Yeah.  The DMA problems were fixed in the linux-kernel upstream in the next
kernel release (which is now quite a few kernel releases back).

The endless looping is still an outstanding issue though.  I have posted to
the alsa upstream about it (see bug #0001246 at "www.alsa-project.org"), but
nothing has happened.  Perhaps if more people could chip in and say that it
fixes problems for them too.

If you want to try it, the patch and every kernel I've recompiled (stock
debian kernel with the addition of the application of the patch) are avalible
at "whitehead.apmaths.uwo.ca/~tyson".  The patch is

alpha-alsa.patch

and the latest kernel flavours I've recompiled are

linux-image-2.6.14-2-alpha-generic_2.6.14-4_alpha.deb  (my PWS500au uses this)
linux-image-2.6.14-2-alpha-smp_2.6.14-4_alpha.deb

They should (did on my box) installed fine with "dpkg -i <debfile>".

You can also patch up a kernel yourself if you want, but the above images
should save you a lot of pain for quick check.  Don't forget your have to
modprobe the driver with the "isapnp=0" option.

As to kernel versions I would not recommend anything earlier than 2.6.14 as
that was the earliest release for which all the udev issues were finally
sorted out.  I haven't tried anything newer as I have not needed to.

Let me know how it goes!  -Tyson

--
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe at uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                          Dept. of Applied Mathematics,