Re: Helix Player

Falk Hueffner wrote:
> rct@gherkin.frus.com (Bob Tracy) writes:
> > Anyone working on this?  Version 1.0.4 might be doable if the
> > dependencies on the Tru64 native compiler (ccc) could be eliminated.
> > Specifically, it looks like common/include/atomicbase.h needs to have
> > a "#elif defined (__alpha) && defined (__GNUC__)" section written to
> > be used instead of the existing  "#elif defined (__alpha)" code.
>
> I wrote a patch that does just that (see bug #337867). However, I
> never really tested it and I think there were some other problems...
> Is there anything that Helix Player can play that mplayer cannot? I
> thought not, which is why I didn't follow this anymore...

Can mplayer handle streaming audio (Internet radio) these days?  Didn't
realize mplayer had reached that level of capabilities.  Great news if
true.  I've needed to give mplayer a long overdue look anyway.  Even in
its infancy it looked promising.  Thanks for the steer!

> By the way, the correct way to fix this would be to rip out all of the
> architecture-specific cruft in atomicbase.h and use gcc atomic
> builtins, which are present from 4.1 on.

Did not know about atomic builtins in 4.1 and later, but I discovered
<asm/atomic.h> from the "linux-kernel-headers" package when I was
looking for something to "borrow" for use in Helix Player.  The asm
code there is definitely a kindred spirit to the Tru64 code in the
Helix Player "atomicbase.h" file.

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com