Re: Apt-get Update problem

On 5/11/06, Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 03:32:15PM -0400, Robert Oram wrote:
> Hi all,
> Now I get "*Alert!  /dev/hda3 does not exist.  Dropping to a shell!*".

[ ... ]

> I am running Etch kernel 2.6.15-8 on a 164LX.

What is your hard disk? Possibly the most usual cause of this is SATA
disks, which exist as /dev/hd* under a 2.4 kernel, but /dev/sd* under a
2.6 kernel, so you need to change the root parameter to your kernel.

   I didn't have this happen with my debian alpha box, but it
happened with my intel box when I stupidly tried to do a  upgrade from
stable to testing, and I don't have any SATA or scsi drives in that
machine. What happened was that I had devfs running and it changed to
udev?? (can't think right now exactly what it was) and the system no
longer could find the drives. I tried all sorts of things to repair
the damage, finally just trashed it and did a whole new install,
including having to format the partition, which was a bummer since I
lost an awful lot of hours of work there getting things set up the way
I wanted, packages installed, etc.

--
Harmon Seaver