Re: FWD: Martin-Éric Racine: Alpha debian-installer bounty

(Bcc:ed to Eki, since it's not clear whether he wants his email address
visible in public archives)

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 11:20:41AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Good news for the alpha porters out there, if you didn't see this on
> Planet Debian:

> ----- Forwarded message from Planet Debian <r2e@kitenet.net> -----

> From: Planet Debian <r2e@kitenet.net>
> Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 10:15:32 -0000
> To: joey@kitenet.net
> Subject: Martin-Éric Racine: Alpha debian-installer bounty

> >From my good friend Eki:

> > I'd appreciate you informing people that I'm commiting a 100 euro
> > bounty towards upgrading debian-installer images with MILO support for
> > the Debian Etch release. I can personally help with development by
> > testing the upgraded installer images on any of my 11 Alpha machines.

> If you have MILO knowledge and are willing to produce updated
> debian-installer images for Etch and to submit your work to the
> debian-boot team, contact _eki_ at his regular _sci.fi_ account. Kiitos!

I suppose if someone is already interested in MILO support for their own
systems this might be a good incentive to follow through on it, but actually
integrating MILO into official d-i images requires first resolving the GPL
source requirements for this Linux 2.2-based bootloader.  I expect that to
be a multi-day project (or perhaps a multi-week project!) on its own just to
get a working milo that's buildable using software in etch, before even
considering any of the d-i integration issues.

I'd suggest that people interested in MILO support for etch might want to
pool their resources in order to offer a bigger bounty in line with the
scope of the problem; or perhaps look into whether there's any effort at
SuSE to get MILO building with a modern compiler (looks unlikely though,
AFAICT no one's touched this stuff since 2000-2001).  I know that *I* can't
afford to invest this kind of time to get MILO running on a volunteer basis,
but would probably consider it if I could sanely shuffle it into the
"putting bread on the table" category.