Re: IDE Controller on Alphaserver1200 (and swap question)

Will Rosecrans wrote:
> Hello, everybody.  I have an Alphaserver 1200 running Debian.  It is
> currently just doing NAT to share my internet connection with my LAN,
> and about to be doing DHCP on my LAN once I get that configured.  I now
> want to make it a file server.  I don't want to invest in big SCSI
> drives, so I'm going to get an IDE controller.  Can I just get any run
> of the mill IDE PCI card, pop it in, and have at it, or are there some
> caveats I need to be aware of?

None that I'm aware of, but I normally use standard PCs for file storage
(cheaper, and save the big iron for more useful work).

> I'll continue to boot off the small SCSI drive I currently have the OS
> on, so I don't need the machine to see the drives on its own.  Just need
> to store files.  The PCI slots in the machine are longer than I'm used
> to, but it shouldn't hurt anything, right?

Nope - 64-bit PCI and PCI-X slots are backwards compatible with regular
PCI.  The only thing you might run into is voltage issues - some slots
(and cards) are 5 volt only, and some are 3.3 volt only.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102045 is a
universal card that has both a PATA and 2 SATA ports on it - it'll work
with either 3.3v or 5v.  The way to tell if it's built for universal
voltage is to look for two notches cut into the PCI interface slot.  A
notch (IIRC) towards the front indicates a 5-volt only card, and a notch
towards the back indicates a 3.3v card.

> Also, under Debian/Alpha, swap space adds to memory, right?  I know
> under some OS's, you need to have at least as much swap as RAM in order
> for it to do anything.  I have 512 MB in this machine, but only a 2 GB
> drive, so I don't want to dedicate > 512 MB to swap.  When I get the IDE
> drives set up, I can move the swap there, so it'll be a non-issue then.

You can put swap wherever you need to.  With 512 MB of RAM, if you know
that you're not going to see something like a slashdotting, and your
memory consumption isn't too bad, you can run without swap (I do that on
a lot of servers - there's only a couple that I use swap on, and those
are subjected to crapfloods, spambots, DDoS's and other assorted
nastiness).  A lot of embedded systems don't have the space for a swap
file, either.

Swap space is not normal memory - it is a place for the memory manager
to stash things in memory that are not actively being used in order to
free up memory for active processes.  It degrades performace severely -
you should not run into swap in normal operations.  It's a crutch to
handle machines that are under-spec'd in memory.

> Thanks, all!

- --
GPG key available
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 06B386612