"Failed to Fork Child Process"

Greetings!
I have 2 LX164's, and have been running the latest version of Etch on both for months now. I run several different configurations on each machine, for testing purposes. While most issues have gone away with newer releases, one has remained persistent. The machines boot normally, and seem to run normally for 10 to 40 minutes, but then begin to produce the same error, no matter what I try to do.

Error: Could no launch menu item
Details:  Failed to fork child process
(Resource temporarily unavailable)

This persists until I cycle the power, as it will not allow me to do a reboot. Any ideas as to the cause or how to fix it? What can I do to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Bob