Re: Re: RES: State of XOrg in testing/unstable

http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/graphics-howto.html

Look for "Which non-HP PCI graphics cards work with PA-RISC Linux?"

On 10/1/06, Ivan Jager <aij+nospam@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Bob Tracy wrote:
>> Tomorrow I'll try yanking the ATI card and putting the old TGA2 back in,
>> just to see if Xorg 7.1 will work with the hardware that worked back in
>> the 6.8 days.
>
> The good (I think) news is that the TGA2 works fine with the latest
> Xorg 7.1 and dependent packages from the unstable tree, i.e., I think
> the reported ATI and MGA problems are probably driver issues.

It seems the same or similar problems happen on both hppa and alpha.

I just tested a Radeon 9250, a Matrox G200, and a Millenium II on an HP
c3700. With the radeon and mga drivers, the screen will go black, and the
box will stop responding to pings or keyboard. (On alpha I could sometimes
ssh in.)

I noticed shortly after the screen went black, the LCD would print
FLT CBF0 (followed by 6.17-pa6 which was already there before)

Then it will start cycling between:
FLT 500B SYS BD bus timeout
FLT CB74 SYS BD bad os HPMC cksm
FLT CBFC SYS BD OS HPMC br err
FLT CBF0 SYS BD HPMC initiated

Pressing the (soft) power button causes a clean shutdown after which it
powers down, so it's not completely dead.

This is with xorg 7.1.0-1, but on alpha the same happens with 7.0. (I
haven't tested 7.0 on hppa.)

Can anyone else with an mga or radeon check whether it is in fact broken
on hppa?

I'm currently using the fbdev driver with the G200. I can't vouch for
it's stability, but it seems to be working.

Ivan