Re: Radeon 7500 cards

Jay Estabrook wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 03:05:31PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> >
> > Next up for evaluation in my PWS 433au will be a non-ATI-branded
> > Radeon 7500 by PowerColor (slogan: "Best game card in the world").
> >
> > Jay et. al.: is there anything special about the officially blessed
> > 3X-PBXGG-AA other than the $319 price I found at one on-line store?
>
> Only the guarantee to work with Tru64 and VMS... ;-}
> (...)
> If the SRM console can get it successfully through its BIOS emulator
> and into console text mode, you should be OK.

It did, and I am :-).  Haven't tried Xorg 7.0.X yet, but the ATI frame
buffer driver successfully found the card at boot time and gave me a
nice little 224-color DEC Tux with kernel version 2.6.18-rc1.  Time to
read the driver docs and figure out how to change the boot-up resolution.

More details on this non-ATI-branded 7500, just in case anyone else can
or wants to find one...  It's a PowerColor RV2P-B3, although you might
have better luck searching for RV2P-3.  In PowerColor's nomenclature,
the "P" is for PCI, and the "3" refers to the number of output
connectors: 15-pin VGA, flat panel (24p ?), and composite video (RCA).
I'm running off the 15-pin VGA connector currently.  Card has 64 MB of
DDR memory, and can supposedly run up to 1152x864 @ 200 Hz, 1280x1024 @
160 Hz, up to 1920x1200 @ 120 Hz, 1920x1440 @ 100/90 Hz, and 2048x1536 @
85 Hz -- all at 256 / 64K / 16.7M colors.

I'll try Xorg 7.0.X in a few days...  I have a small house interior
painting project being offered as a NMI by the wife :-).

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com