Re: apt and kernel updates

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:15:32PM -0400, Michael Galloway wrote:

> the only real problem is that smp kernel fails to boot with a ton of
> symbol errors and cannot find sda3. there is a /lib/modules
> directory for the smp kernel. i wonder if the smp kernel has left
> out the driver (symbios drive) for the scsi card?  its a good thing
> you cautioned me to leave a directive to the old kernel :)

The recent SMP kernels often seem to need several subsystems built into
the kernel, rather than as modules:

	SCSI	(not necessarily the drivers, but the higher levels)
	XFS
	IPV6

Building them in makes THAT problem go away, though doesn't always
solve the issue of it crashing during boot for some other reason.

It should also be noted that the IPV6 module often causes messages about
per-cpu space problems and refuses to load because of it. No solution
known to me yet...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com