Re: SCSI driver for 53c1000 controller

Marc Schlensog [fishtank@web.de] wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2006 17:43:13 +0200
> "Rafael Ruiz" <gandano@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I have a CS20 computer with 53C1000 scsi controller. I have installed
> > linux kernel-2.4.32, but i only get 68MB/s with my Utra160 scsi disk.
> > 53C1000 chip support 160MB/s. Which kernel config option enable this
> > feature? Do i need a external driver?
>
> The bottleneck isn't your controller but your disk. If you need more
> throughput, get more disks.

68 MB/s is quite a lot.  I'm not sure what top-of-the-line SCSI disks
can do, but it can't be much more than 68 MB/s.

My CS20 is gets 63 MB/s with its Ultra160 drive.

160 MB/s is the theoretical maximum that the BUS can handle.  In
practice the disks themselves can't shove data out that fast.  If you
need more throughput than that you need a RAID array.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "It is almost universally felt that when we call a country
    democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every
    kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they
    might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one
    meaning." -- George Orwell