Re: ES40 strange beeps on boot

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 06:34:31PM +0100, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:

> I have an AlphaServer ES40 here (running Debian Sarge). Today I
> noticed that it does some strange beeping on boot (two sequences of
> 1-1-4).
>
> >From the "owner's guide" I see that this beeping means a "ROM err"
> ("The SROM code is unable to load the console code. Or, a flash ROM
> header area or checksum error has been detected.").
>
> The "owner's guide" goes on about loading the firmware from a floppy,
> but I'm not about to undergo some risky procedure without knowing
> exacty what the problem is.
>
> My question is... has anyone experienced something like this? The
> machine seems to boot just fine and shows no problems after boot
> (although a user has told me that the simulations he is running today
> seem to be taking MUCH longer to complete, and the CD-ROM on the
> machine stopped working - don't know if this is related or not, but
> doesn't hurt mentioning it).

Is it possible that not all the CPUs are (no longer) configured?

> BTW, earlier today the machine crashed. When I arrived, someone had
> already rebooted it, but he said the little LCD screen showed
> something like "CTERM error" before he power cycled it. We started
> hearing the beeps after this (the last reboot was made remotely, so
> I'm not sure if they were heard then).

Fatal: "CTERM failed" - no CTERM voltage to CPUs

Warning: "CTERM warn" - Voltage regulator over or under threshhold

Have you lost a power supply? Do you have a spare? Consult the Event
Log or run diagnostics on the power supplies to see.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com