Re: Install query

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Dermot Paikkos wrote:

> Compaq Alpha DS10, 1 x SCSI HDD (dsk0) with root on /dsk0a.
>
> I am trying to overwrite my Tru64 install with a fresh copy of
> debian. I am not multi-booting and would like to use all the
> available space on dsk0 for the Debian install.
>
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) Should I destroy the existing tru64 disklabel for dsk0?
>
> 2) If yes how? Do I boot into Tru64 and use disklabel? or is there a
> way from the SRM?

You shouldn't need to alter the disklabel manually, partman in
debian-installer should do all that for you.

> FYI my first attempt at booting from the CD failed, and the install
> hanged at the point below but I suspect this might have something to
> do with there not being a partition available.

> aboot: starting kernel boot/vmlinuz with arguments ramdisk_size=16384 root=/dev/ram devfs=mount,dall

Are you using a serial console? If so, you'll need to add console=ttyS0 to
the boot paramters - try "boot dqb0 -flags i" and then enter
"b boot/vmlinux ramdisk_size=16384 root=/dev/ram devfs=mount,dall console=ttyS0"
at the aboot prompt. http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/aboot.html and
http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/ch05s01.html.en#id2522101

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |