Install Successful on DS10

Hello
For those here looking for video options for their alpha, I have successfully installed debian sarge with 2.4.27 on a alpha DS10, with the X server working with an off-the-shelf S3virge ( 4MB) and a Matrox Millenium G450 (32 Mb ) An old tga frame buffer (PowerStorm 3D30 (PBXGB-AA) was working not very well and showing strange dots on the screen, but I think it comes from the card itself because it was also working strange with OpenVMS. All of these cards were configured using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, no special options were needed.

The only special thing I have to mention is that the Matrox is quite slow to start gdm, takes 10-15 seconds before seeing the x screen but then run ok. I guess it has to do with the Bios Initialization.

I have to say I am very happy to have a working X on an open source operating system on this machine , as I tryed first with NetBSD and OpenBSD on this piece of hardware, but as of now both don't have a working X server for the tsunami chipsets.

I can provide XFree86 config files if needed.

Manu