Re: "no link beat found" on digital alpha-station 255

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:21:38PM +0100, Cornelius Weiss wrote:

> i managed to install a debian-base-system from the net-install image on
> a digital alpha-station255.
> After the reboot of DI the installation couldn't be finished, as the
> network isn't working.
>
> On colsole it alwas says: "Wanrning: No link beat Found"
>
> Is sombody aware of a solution for this problem?

Many of the Alphas with builtin old/slow TULIPs give problems with
the current default driver ("de2104x"). I think it's NOT the driver's
fault, but some kinda quirky implementation on the mobos. Regardless,
it doesn't work successfully (and won't, until the quirkiness is
understood).

If the other TULIP driver "de4x5" is built for your kernel, try that.

By old/slow TULIPs, I mean 21040 and 21041 chipsets.

And the Alphas with those builtin are:

AS200/AS250/AS255/AS300/AS500

Those same old/slow TULIP chipsets, when on a PCI card (like the DE434
and DE435), do seem to work OK with the "de2104x" driver, IIRC.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com