Debian 3.1 kde problem

Hi all.

I have a weired problem on my Alphastation 500au (TGA2 graphics). I installed
Sarge on it (twice), X11 is ok. Gnome desktop works fine. As well as gnome
applications. But kde does not, neither kdm nor kde applications: the
application starts, but you cannot read the output. Some kind of black
printing on black background inside the kde window, only some dimly icons.
Gnome background arround the application is still ok.

When I use the applications over the network (ssh -X), e.g. k3b, it works
fine !?!

Could not find any hint on the net. Is this a known problem? What to do?

Regards,

   Hartwig