Re: keyboard on CS20

I have an Alphastation 500/500 with an standard USB 2.0 PCI card (with NEC chipset) for 10,-- Euros:
0000:00:0c.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
0000:00:0c.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
0000:00:0c.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)

This is detected by hotplug when loading the kernel. I use this card primarily for attaching USB2.0 harddrives. But when the card is detected, plugging an usb keyboard and mouse into it would do the job.

The problem is only in SRM, where you need a native keyboard. On x86 machines this is the same, but the BIOS of newer mainboards have support to emulate a PS/2 keyboard from an USB keyboard, so you can navigate in the BIOS setup and boot a system. But if you are able to set all boot-options in SRM with serial console and set auto_action to boot and boot_osflags to the aboot configuration, the machine should boot without ps/2 keyboard. When the linux detects USB you can use the keyboard/mouse (not before).

Uwe

At 10:46 04.12.2005, Marc Schlensog wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:46:29 +0100 (CET)
angel zambrana <rarurub21@yahoo.es> wrote:

>  Hi all!
>
>   Exists any way to plug in keyboard on API CS20?
>   Can i to use a USB card plugged on PCI riser for to use USB keyboard
>   and USB mouse?
>
>   Angel

I can't think of a reason why it should not, as long as the USB-card is
supported by the kernel. You won't be able to use the keyboard in SRM or
possibly even during the first install, though.

HTH,

Marc