Re: New Installer & ReiserFS

On 16/01/2005 02:26:05, John Goerzen wrote:
On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 03:45:19PM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Ok. I was reading axp-list and this one for years, and several
people
> reported trouble with Reiser. Of course, time does not stand still
and
> if Reiser is now cleaned up, people simply stopped reporting errors
> and that's how the impression might have got stuck.

Well, I could add my voice to the chorus that reiser is working fine
here. I have been using it for just over a year. I have had a glitch or two, but they have been glitches that also existed on x86. Nothing
Alpha-specific that I'm aware of.

Hello :)

My experience with reiserfs gone bad twice.

First time on x86 the server lost many files in /home and gave me very much trouble in human relationship with people who lost files.

The second time was on alpha, were reiserfs lost *every* file with execution bit set from the /usr partition. *Every executable*, other files were left on the filesystem. The /var was reiserfs too but didn't have the same problem while / was on ext3. I built a script to verify which packages were damaged (by using dpkg - S and looking for missing files) and reinstalled about 150 packages on the system. Then I switched the whole system to ext3.

On x86 instead I preferred to switch to XFS.
XFS proved to be very stable, fast and performing and it is really well engineered. Reiserfs seems far away from being a mature product. On XFS, I did a mistake in partitioning the system by hand and two partitions overlapped (doh! never install late in the evening!). At one day, the system hung. But recovering from the error took not longer than running xfs_recover and correction partitions with fdisk.
No files lost at all, even in case of human error.
This is really stable!!

It's been a while since I tried XFS on alpha.
Last time I could create an XFS filesystem but cannot mount.
I will try to find sometime to test again today.
Maybe it's a lucky day :)

Bye
gl :)