seti & boinc for alpha

Dear List

Frank S. Thomas instructed me how to compile his boinc client. He is the
maintainer of boinc-client. There is now a binary package for alpha
available from
   deb     http://pkg-boinc.alioth.debian.org/debian sarge main
   deb-src http://pkg-boinc.alioth.debian.org/debian sarge main
and documentation can be found at
   http://wiki.debian.org/BOINC

I just got aware I compiled the package with -mcpu=ev56 which may mean
those binaries do not run on an alpha < 21164? If this is the case I
wonder how to use the debian package system to let it provide packages
for different cpu subarchs. Could somebody please explain this to me?

To use boinc you need also a project client. For seti you can download
an "optimized" alpha binary from
   http://www.guntec.de/Crunch3r/setialpha.html
and follow the instructions for the "anonymous plattform mechanism of
boinc at
   http://boinc.berkeley.edu/anonymous_platform.php
You can use the attached app_info.xml.

Eventually someone feels like experimenting with compiler flags and
optimizing boinc-client and/or seti client, likes to compile a climate
prediction client or another one. I used the flags for boinc-client
postet by Matthias Pilch on
   http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=3649#95723
This testing would help Frank S. Thomas to go on to include boinc and
eventually seti in a future debian release. There is a benchmark page on
the debian wiki, where you can post your test results
(http://wiki.debian.org/BOINC/ClientBenchmarks).

Regards, Adrian.

<app_info>
    <app>
        <name>setiathome</name>
    </app>
    <file_info>
        <name>setiathome_4.7_alphaev5-unknown-linux-gnu</name>
        <executable/>
    </file_info>
    <app_version>
        <app_name>setiathome</app_name>
        <version_num>470</version_num>
        <file_ref>
            <file_name>setiathome_4.7_alphaev5-unknown-linux-gnu</file_name>
            <main_program/>
        </file_ref>
    </app_version>
</app_info>