Re: Installing SW on Debian Alpha

On 30/08/2005 11:57:04, Padiyath Sreekumaran wrote:
   Hello,
   Can I install the SW with the command "dpkg -i programname"
   Is there any simple way of installing the SW?
   For example I tried with dpkg -i php or dpkg -i php.deb etc.

dpkg is the command line tool for installing a package you made or previously downloaded by yourself.

apt is the tool for automatically download and install a package and its dependencies. dselect is an universal char-based front-end to apt.

try this, as root:

apt-get update
apt-get install php4

then give a look at dselect and what it could do for you.

bye!
gl :)