Re: bzip2 unaligned trap

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 05:54:15PM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> >This is a software problem that lies in the ALPHA RISC processor
> >architecture. The processor cannot access memory that is not
> >aligned at boundaries conforming to the datatype to be
> >read/written.

> Urmm, don't you mean:

> "It's a software problem which lies in the laxity of the x86
> architecture"

> x86 being one of the /few/ architectures which doesn't fault on
> unaligned accesses. Though, even on x86 they still are /slower/ than
> aligned accesses (the CPU is doing the fixups in hardware rather than
> trapping).

> SPARC definitely traps unaligned. PPC I /think/ does too.

> Just Linux which generally tries to cover up for bad software.

> >because alpha is not the main platform and most developers do not
> >have such a processor.

> Try PPC.

Unless they're running a fully ppc64 system (which is contraindicated by
kernel and glibc upstream), they're not going to get the same unaligned
traps on ppc as on alpha.

Anyway, I've never seen trap-related errors from ppc; the other arch that
tends to generate these a lot is ia64, which rivals sparc for
least-efficient fix-ups.