Installing a NFS-rooted alpha machine

Hello

I am trying to install an alpha machine (alphastation 255) as a nfs-rooted
Debian system. I have created a suitable filesystem on the server with
debootstrap and am running dhcpd, tftpd and nfsd. The setup appears to
work for other operating systems, but I cannot find a working image for
tftp and the boot flags to make things work.

I can get an installer image boot from tftp but it dies complaining about
invalid root file system with flags:
"root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=server-ip:/path ip=dhcp". Trying to use a
raw kernel fails with SRM complaining "kernel stack not valid halt".
The aboot-cross package does not seem to contain any utility to make
a kernel image netbootable.

How should I proceed to boot into my new Debian system? The machine
does not currently have any cdrom or harddrive installed...

- Einar Karttunen