Re: modules.conf maintenance

--On Monday, June 20, 2005 01:45:50 PM -0400 Tyson Whitehead <twhitehe@uwo.ca> wrote:

On June 20, 2005 12:49, Bill MacAllister wrote:
My question here was about the kernel and kernel modules, not about the
modules.conf file.  I think that I had tried booting with the 2.6.8
kernel with a modules.conf file that should have loaded the de4x5 module
and didn't.  Now that I look at the config-2.6.8-2-generic file I see
that it does look like the module was built, so now I am not sure.  I
will have to try it one more time to be sure.

Hummm.  I seem to have a de4x5 file kicking around in my modules
directory
("lib/modules/2.6.10-1-generic/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/de4x5.ko").  You
might want to avoid the 2.6.8 kernel as it has a nasty ISA bug on the
Alpha  (not too critical if you only have PCI cards).

Anyway, I was just going to add, the module software is different between
2.4  and 2.6 (the former is in the modutils package, the later is in the
module-init-tools package).  The two different versions use a different
configuration layout.  See the 2.6 "modprobe" and "modprobe.conf " man
pages.

The "/etc/modutils" directory and the "/etc/modules.conf" file are for
the old  2.4 setup.  If I recall correctly, the "/etc/modules.conf" was
actually  generated from the "/etc/modutils" directory by a Debian script
called  "update-modules".  Thus you made changes to the files in
"/etc/modutils"  directory and then ran "update-modules" to change stuff.

The "/etc/modprobe.d" directory and the "/etc/modprobe.conf" file are for
the  new 2.6 setup.  The new modprobe directly parses both the main file
and the  files under the directory so there is no running scripts.  Just
change the  appropriate files.  If it detects a 2.4 kernel version it
execs the old  modprobe program (which is renamed "modprobe.modutil"), so
everything will  still work okay.

Anyway, the long and short is, I think you might be editing the wrong
files. : )

Exactly right! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The 2.6.8 kernel boots with a network and the apt-get install of the 2.6.11 kernel went flawlessly.

Thanks a lot Tyson,

Bill

Later!  -T

PS:  Oh yeah.  The boot scripts also load all the modules listed in
"/etc/modules" on start up.  This is useful if you don't have hardware
detection and/or want something other than the default driver loaded.

- --
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe@uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                          Dept. of Applied Mathematics,
 Graduate Student- Applied Mathematics      University of Western Ontario,
 GnuPG Key ID# 0x8A2AB5D8                   London, Ontario, Canada