modules.conf maintenance

Hello,

I have an Alpha 1000A running Debian Sarge with a 2.4.28 kernel that I built. I decided to try the stock 2.6.8 kernel and used apt-get to install it. The install went just fine, I modified aboot.conf to use the initrd images, and the system rebooted fine with the exception that I lost the network. Turns on that this system has a DE500 NIC and I forgot that to get it to work I had to load the de4x5 driver. The kernel upgrade wiped out the modules.conf file so it took me a while to figure out why booting the old kernel did not work any more either. So, this leaves me with two questions:

 1. What is the correct way to add entries into modules.conf so that they
    are preserved through an apt-get kernel upgrade?  The modules.conf
    file tells you to read the man page for update-modules, but the
    update-modules man page says that update-modules is obsolete.

 2. How do I add the de4x5 module to the stock 2.6.8 kernel?  Has to
    be done as part of the 2.6.8 kernel install, because if I wait 'til
    after I can't talk to the apt-get sources any more.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill