Re: SRM troubles/ XP1000

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 05:08:27PM +0300, Juhana Paavola wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 simon@cliffestones.demon.co.uk wrote:
>

> > I've reached the point of getting X setup. It appears to have a
> > tga2 based card, but it only wants to run in 8-Bit colour and claims
> > to have 2MB of memory. Looking on the retired systems page on the HP
> > site all of the cards mentioned there for the XP1000 had far more
> > memory and could manage true colour.
> >
> > Could this be a configuration problem?
> >

> No, it only works as a TGA card.
>
> There's no support or drivers to TGA2 cards in XFree86, don't know why.
> Maybe insufficient documents to write drivers for TGA2 based.
>
> But simple answer is that it works only in TGA 8bit mode.

Original TGA required framebuffer support to function as a text-mode
console.

TGA2 has a simple VGA (Cirrus?) with minimal memory (512K?) as a
frontend to perform this function.

Both cards require the TGA server to operate with (limited)
acceleration under XFree86, and there was such support in 4.3.0, IIRC,
that was working...

TGA2 had to be manually configured for XFree86 as a TGA, rather than
let the probe code rule, because that would only recognize the VGA...

I'd try to find a nice Radeon or Permedia-2/3 card if you really want
XFree86 on that box...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com