RE: swriteboot vs debian installer wrt Tru64 disklabel

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Steve Langasek wrote:

  > d-i does use swriteboot to install aboot to the disk.  That's not the issue.
  > The issue is the same that it's always been: Tru64 doesn't cope with
  > disklabels that don't include a full-disk slice, and the debian-installer
  > can't reasonably create such a slice for us (for various and sundry reasons
  > that have been discussed on this list before).

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I am trying to understand
the installer's operation in the context of a PRE-existing
Tru64 label, where the full-disk slice already exists
and thus does not have to be created by the installer.

Are you saying that the installer modifies the pre-existing
label so that no partitions cover block 0, which would in turn
allow swriteboot to be called without '-f'?

Thanks,
Toni

Toni Harbaugh-Blackford                   harbaugh@abcc.ncifcrf.gov
System Administrator
Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC)
National Cancer Institute
Contractor - SAIC/Frederick