Booting Debian Sarge CD on Alphastation 500/400

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install Debian Sarge on an Alphastation 500/400.

t the SRM prompt I type “boot dka400” (dka400 is the scsi CDROM) and I reach the aboot prompt and I select option “0”.

After loading the “initrd” message I get the message:  “aboot: loading kernel vmlinuz with options…..” and the system hangs there with no further activity.

The only possible action after that is to press the reset button which takes me back to the SRM prompt.

I managed to install Debian Woody with success on the same machine. I noticed that the Debian Woody CD comes with a non-initrd kernel.

I tried to upgrade the kernel-image on the Woody installation with the latest kernel-image (2.4.18) and I got exactly the same problem.

It appears that there is a problem booting with initrd-based kernels.

Can anybody, who had similar experiences, help me?

Thank you for your time reading this message.

Stavros Stavrinos

Systems Support Engineer

Electricity Authority of Cyprus.