request for help: unreproducible glibc build failure on alpha

Hi folks,

I could use some help sorting out the most recent build log of glibc on
alpha:

<http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=glibc&ver=2.3.2.ds1-21&arch=alpha&stamp=1113670225&file=log&as=raw>

The build hangs indefinitely trying to run the test-ifaddr test, which
should be a lightning-fast check of the available interfaces.  I have not
been able to reproduce this error on my own alpha (LX164 running a
2.4.27-2-generic kernel), and I also haven't been able to pin it down on an
amd64 system where I'm told the error was reproducible at one point.

If someone is able to reproduce this error on alpha and can give me shell on
the box to figure out what's going wrong (or figure it out on your own and
tell us), that would be greatly appreciated so that we can get this sorted
and avoid glibc holding other packages out of testing for longer than
necessary.

For reference, goedel is a DS20E running a 2.4.29 kernel; this may or may
not be relevant to trying to reproduce the error.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer