Re: Tomcat wiki @ sablevm.org

On Wed, 2005-06-04 at 15:52 -0400, mel kravitz wrote:
> hi,
> The http://sablevm.org/wiki/Tomcat  is  not waiting any more:-)
> I hope this helps others running on alpha and other arch's.

Hi Mel,

Thank you very much for the screenshots, temporarily (before I put
them into the official screenshots section) I put them at:

	http://gadek.debian.net/SableVM-Alpha/

(Yes, XSmiles is a web browser in pure Java, Yay!)

I also reworked the Tomcat page.  It wasn't hard, because you provided
great informational base :-)

You might want to check out the section about setting Debian
alternatives.  I use this method on my home machine.

Could you only check one thing: whether if you set javac to be
/usr/local/lib/sablevm/bin/javac (not /usr/local/bin/jikes) the
Tomcat still works?

It should, and the advantage of not having "raw" jikes as javac is that
jikes needs to be given boot class library to actually compile anything.
I guess Tomcat does give it explicitly, but if you tried to just use
'jikes MyProg.java' you'll get an error about missing java.lang.Object
unless you have BOOTCLASSPATH env. variable set.  Our 'javac' wrapper
for jikes does set it to point to sablevm-classpath's main .jar, and
this way achieves a much better compatiblity with Sun's 'javac'.

Cheers,

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski

PS: I also filled http://sablevm.org/bugs/125 bugreport about batik
web browser.  I haven't seen such errors before, so it looks like a
good test case and I wouldn't like it to get lost.  Feel free to
add yourself to Cc: list of this bug.
--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski           <gadek@sablevm.org>
SableVM - Free, LGPL'ed Java VM  http://sablevm.org