Re: dying scsi drive?

Append root=/dev/sda1 to your boot command in /etc/aboot.conf.  (I
assume you're using aboot not milo?)

Did you partition this disk or format /dev/sda without any partitions?
The lack of a partition table might cause this problem.  Why do you have
the message "Unable to read /dev/sda"?  It should always be sda1 or
sda2.

If sector 0 truly is bad, this drive may be unusable.  Many modern
drives however keep an internal bad blocks list and will reallocate a
block from their spares when one goes bad.  Play around with the
smartctl program in the debian package smartsuite, and try 'badblocks -n
/dev/sda' after booting off a cd-rom (/dev/sda? must not be mounted).

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the
    votes." -- Joseph Stalin